Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lessons from a Canine


I'm a cat person. I grew up with cats and developed a fondness for them. I've always had a cat up until about 5 years ago when our last one decided she was going to poop on my carpet if I didn't let her sleep on my bed. That earned her a free one-way ticket to the Darke County Animal Shelter. I don't handle well pets using the floor of my home as their toilet. It must have left a bad taste in my mouth, (or smell in my nose), as we've never gotten another cat.

Don't ask me why but we now have a dog. It was not a premeditated purchase. I suppose you could call it a really pricey impulse buy. Back in August of last year, we went to the pet store in Richmond to kill a few minutes while we were waiting to see a movie. We never saw the movie. We came home instead with a 10-week-old Cocker Spaniel. She looked me in the eyes and she was so cute and sweet. At the risk of sounding sappy, she stole my heart. Of course, I'd heard people talking before that having a puppy was a lot like having an infant in the house. But come on, how hard could it possibly be?

One thing I forgot to think about--dogs are kind of.......dirty. You must understand, I really, really, REALLY enjoy having a clean house. And smell is crucial too--I love a fresh smelling house! Yes, I have three children and they throw a bit of a kink in that. But I've learned to deal with it, lowering my standards enough so as to not go CRAZY! Over the years I'm sure I've spent many hours on my hands and knees cleaning out of my carpet spilt juice, milk, marker, play dough, adhered-to-the-carpet-raisins found under the couch, and other interestingly gross things. Then there are the body fluids--you know, the ones that have, at one time or another, landed on all of our couches and carpets. For some reason, though, when it comes from your own flesh and blood child, it doesn't seem QUITE as gross--you clean it up, let it dry, and find yourself laying your head on that same spot the next day without much thought. You just sort of get used to their messes because you HAVE to. You know, we can't just take our kids to the pound.

But when your DOG poops all through the house, (like mine did this morning), leaving countless tiny piles of this nasty, soft, green stuff and dragging her feet through it to leave poopy footprints clear down the hallway, through the living room, and across the couch..............I feel like I've had about all I can take! She is not, may I remind you, my flesh and blood. She is not like one of my children, who shares my last name and is required to live with us. She is OPTIONAL. And the OPTION is SOOOOOOO tempting at times like these!!!

It had been just a couple of hours before that, during my quiet time, I was asking God to help me make improvements in certain areas, namely, controlling my reactions when "accidents" happen around the house. I admit, I had things like 'spilt milk' in mind. I sometimes react violently to things like that; it seems like one of those areas I can't quite get a grip on and feel like I'm setting a horrible example for my children. I want to learn to act like Christ would if a child had spilt milk at his kitchen table--with PATIENCE, KIND WORDS, and UNDERSTANDING. But there was no spilt milk today. Just the dog. And once again, I failed to act as I know Jesus would've if his dog had pooped on the rug. I yelled and ranted and whined and pouted as I scrubbed the mess. (One of those moments when my oldest child gathers the younger two together and encourages them to "stay out of Mom's way!")

Thankfully, somewhere in the midst of my tantrum, God was speaking to me, "This house isn't important. This carpet isn't important. It doesn't matter if your carpet isn't new and fresh anymore. It doesn't matter if your couch is stained and even stinks a little. Nor do the numerous marks and dings on the walls matter. Nor the Manwich stain on the kitchen ceiling from 1998 that your husband said he would fix. Nor the scratches all down both sides of the van. Nor the black streaks on the roof. Nor the holes in the kitchen linoleum." IT DOESN'T MATTER, KATI.

I don't know of anywhere in God's Word where it says we should take pride in our homes. Yes, I know its important to care for the material blessings God gives us, but are we to shine them, and stare at them, and forbid children to touch them, and TREASURE them? I know of only One who is worthy of being treasured. Lord, thank you for using something so silly as my dog to remind me of this.

I'm still going to strive to do better at reacting to these messes. Whether its the milk being spilled on my newly mopped floor, or the dog relieving herself where she's not supposed to, or whatever tomorrow may bring, I'll continue to trust that the Lord CAN and WILL teach me to behave more like Himself in these moments.

Oh, and one more thing--just for anyone who might happen to find themselves in this situation: Resist the temptation to strap your 3 yr old in his car seat naked, on your way home from the pool and having forgotten to bring dry clothes along, thinking you'll save the car seat from getting wet. Apparently the whole nakedness thing can throw your child off a bit and give him the idea that its okay to pee right then and there while strapped in the seat, spraying the back of the drivers seat, passenger's seat, your husband's Bible, your pool bag, the box of tissues you keep in the vehicle, and the CARPET!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHH! Now I have a house that smells like dog and a van that smells like pee! (But it doesn't matter, Lord!)

Sorry for all the references to bodily waste in this post. As you all know, its just part of life. Granted, a much bigger part of life than we would choose for those of us with small children or dogs.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i laughed so HARD while reading your post, kati!!! i'm sure i wouldn't have laughed at ALL if all that had been MY mess to clean up, but hopefully you will find it funny eventually. are you writing this stuff down (journaling) for your kids to read later? they'll love it!

Margaret said...

I wryly laughed, knowing how important a clean house is to me! *sigh* It seems like God sometimes answers our prayers very rapidly, especially when we are asking for help in a certain area. :)l

Margaret said...

and, oh yeah, i've often thought it would be so fun to have a cute little house dog...you have thoroughly robbed me that idea! :)

Anonymous said...

margaret: they ARE a lot of fun, but at first they are also a lot of work. we love our "morkie" - cross between a maltese and yorkie. we've had her for 4 of her 6 months of life, and she rarely has accidents, plus she understands words and commands such as: no biting, get down, go pee, outside, sit, treat, and ball. of course, she also understands that if she manages to get outside and NOT be on the leash, she must not come anywhere near us or she will have to go back inside. not even a treat will induce her to come closer than 5 feet from us. we've gotten a lot of exercise on our two acres because of this.

Kati said...

Margaret--you should totally get yourself a cute little house dog. God will use it the little mongrel to make you look more like Jesus, I'm sure of it!

In all seriousness, we wouldn't have kept our little Penny around this long if the good moments didn't outweigh the bad. My personal favorite times are mornings in the recliner with a cup of coffee and the stinking little mutt warming my feet.

And really, sometimes we go for months now without an accident in the house, but this has just been a bad week--hence, this post! Also, everyone says it does get easier as they get older. Her first b-day is Sunday so she is still very much a puppy.

Gosh, Dee, we have the same problem with Penny when she escapes outside without a leash. If she catches sight of a bird or squirrel, there is NO stopping her!

One more thing--having a puppy is also great for teaching children (and grown-ups) responsibility in caring for their belongings. My kids are (still) learning to keep their valuables put up out of the dog's reach. Many barbies and transformers and toy trains and books and shoes (grrrr) have ended up in the trash after the dog has mutilated them.

Jessi said...

kati~ I had one of those experiences a month ago. I also was praying for God to help me with getting angry at "things that don't matter" when my boys spilled 1/2 a quart of BLACK paint on our kitchen floor.(it doesn't seem like much until they decide to slip slide in it!) God really showed me patience, I didn't say a word, except "DON'T MOVE" I picked up Vaughn, and carried him to the tub and put him in clothes and all. I turned around to go get Noah, only to discover he was right behind me ahhhhhhhhhh...needless to say the kitchen is in the front of our house and the bathroom is in the back! (get the drift?) Black little footprints curved and winded through the kitchen, dining room, living room, over the TWO rugs, into the bathroom, safely landing on the Bathmat!!! But just like you God showed me it just doesn't matter, and everything came out, except from the clothes.
Oh, by the way, I did have a quiet breakdown from being overwhelmed, but the anger was gone! praise Jesus!

Charity said...

Having no experience with a dog, I was laughing (and groaning!) about the car-peeing escapade. i think it's hilarious that you strapped him into his seat naked! those kind of "accidents" have led to some of my less than sanctified moments in recent years.

i actually got tears in my eyes tuesday during the book study when a woman in our group described the home of a friend she had some years back. It was small and full of young children; therefore, often chaotic and messy. But she went on to say, It was one of my favorite places to be, because of the joy that was there.That was exactly the reminder i needed about what really matters!

thanks for the heads-up; i think i'll wait a while to pray about my attitude toward unexpected messes. i have enough trouble dealing with the "usual" ones!

Kati said...

Oh Jessi, girl!! Those are exactly the kind of moments I'm talking about!! Praise God He wiped away the anger!! I pray everyday He will do that in me--that I may react in such a way that my kids know I care more about them than my carpet--and that THINGS just don't really matter.

Charity, what you're talking about is the kind of home I long to have! My pesky flesh keeps getting in the way of that. My goal has always been that old saying, "Clean enough to be healthy, but dirty enough to be happy." Needless to say, its still a GOAL, as I haven't gotten there yet. I long for the JOY OF CHRIST to fill my home instead of the FEAR OF MOM!

Chris said...

Kati,

The next time you have Life Group at your house I am not sitting on the couch.

Good story.