Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Notice Anything Odd?




Okay, okay, maybe I talked it up a little bit too much before I let you all in on it. As mothers, though, I'm sure most of you understand the frustration of this. Thankfully, no chicken pox here, but I first noticed something odd when I sat down to do Erin's hair yesterday. It appeared to me as this huge chunk of hair chopped off and sticking straight up in the air. My initial reaction to her was not overly angry or violent, as I was just struck with all-out SHOCK and DISBELIEF. My ERIN did this? My compliant, obedient, cooperative child? The one child of my three whom I would have LEAST expected to act so impulsively?

I calmly asked her when she did it. "A couple days ago."

"Were you alone when you did it?" "Yes."

"Erin, WHY did you do it?" "There was a poof in my hair and I couldn't get it to go down."

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

"A POOF?" "So, THIS is better than a POOF????"

At this point, I expected her to start crying, but she never did. In the last couple of days, before I noticed what she'd done, she must have had time to come to terms with her new "do", because it didn't seem to take her by surprise how bad it looked or how upset I was. I was almost HOPING for tears, so I would know she understood the seriousness of it. But she really didn't seem too upset by the whole thing.

It was a different story with ME, though. For the next few hours all I could manage to do was STARE at the thing--this ugly, rude, obnoxious tuft of hair "ruining" my perfect little daughter. (You don't have to tell me what's wrong with this. I already know. I'm just explaining to you my thought process at the time.) I was REALLY angry for several hours. As the Lord always does, though, He began to place thoughts in my head to put things in the proper perspective. Specifically, giving me thoughts of things that would be WORSE than this. And there were LOTS.

By last evening, I had moved past the anger and reached the "acceptance" phase. Erin must have decided it was "safe" to ask the question she'd probably been thinking about all day. She looked me straight in the eyes and asked,

"Mommy, do you still love me?"

"What do you think?," I said with a grin.

She smiled, then she LAUGHED, then went about on her merry way.

12 comments:

Diana said...

Oh girl - you gotta laugh. She is still adorable - and hey, she is just trying to solve the age old problem of "the poof"!!?? :) :)
I'M smiling anyway.
Diana

Margaret said...

ok- what's the dumbest thing I can tell you? It could be worse. I HATE it when people tell me that. As though that really helps.

I'm trying to think how we can redeem this situation in time for the picture...tie a big bow in the front that hides the sticking up part, cut all her hair that same length, wear a hat, or just have that picture for a good laugh and fond memories! (At least you get to have your pic taken...we have to cancel ours due to a situation that is a very long story!)

Kati said...

Di~ How long have you been reading my blog and you've never left a comment! Congrats on taking the plunge!! :) Glad SOMEONE's smiling about the situation. :)

Marg~Do you know I asked Erin if she wanted me to just even it all out and give her a haircut like her brothers!! Also, have totally considered a ball cap and wondered how I can work it into our planned, coordinated outfits for the picture. I doubt it'll work!

If I stick a barrett directly on the spot, it keeps it down for a short time, until the barrett, as all barretts do, works its way down and the hairs pop right up again. :( Futile, it seems.

Other suggestions greatly appreciated!

JanAl said...

She is still absolutely adorable!!!
The photo company might be able to do some computer magic. I have friends who have done this at home. They take some of the background, and cover it over the problem area. Just for fun, I would like to say, your family could all wear matching bandana's. You could start a new trend?

Anonymous said...

Kati,
After only 2 days at school, Abby has 3 boys liking her, one asked her out today, one is a 7th grader. So, after reminding Abby that she still has 7 years before she can legally date (our law), I also told her she is no longer going to school cute. So ,I was wondering if Erin's hair cutting skills are still available? HAHA!!

Kati said...

Janal--I'll send Erin right over!

Charity said...

A couple of thoughts, Kati:

1. With that small a picture and that many heads, nothing is really too noticeable in a church directory. I know someone who burnt off some of the hair around her face with a curling iron while getting ready for our last directory photos; but no one who has seen their picture has noticed it.

2. With or without "poofs" and patches of stubble, Erin looks beautiful. The first thing I noticed from the top picture was her big blue eyes.

For the picture, would it work to slick the patch down with gel and pull her sides back?

Kati said...

Girls, I certainly appreciate all your suggestions. I'll be experimenting around with some of them in the next week and we'll see what happens. Regardless, I know a batch of sticky-up hair isn't going to matter in eternity.

Though it does make for interesting blog material. :)

Anonymous said...

what? no one has mentioned that i guessed right?

do you know how i enjoy being right??

actually, sorry i was right :{

and i do hope you come up with a creative solution, but if not, the photography people will probably have one. i doubt this will be the first time they've had to somehow cover over a minor disaster :)

Kati said...

Okay Dee, you get the credit!!! It is better than chicken pox, though!

Good news, everyone. The hair is beginning to lay down on its own. If we continue to "train" it by packing it down with gel and barretts, I think by next week she MIGHT be looking normal again??

Jessi said...

sorry i missed reading your blog before you told me face-to-face. i just wanted to comment to let you know that i still wanted to read it!

i couldn't tell by looking at her, so looks like it's going to work out!!!!!!

Chris said...

Maybe she was going for the same hairdo I have....you know, the one she said as "balls" on it.