Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I Got a Response!!

Nearing the one-month mark since I sent my email to K Love regarding Point of Grace's song,"I Wish", I'd almost given up on getting a response. I was pleased to get something, and not-at-all surprised to get something like this:


Hi Kati,

Thanks for your for sharing your perspective with us about Point of Grace's new song. I have forwarded your message to Programming.

For our playlist, we are always looking for the right songs that share a great message. Some songs will draw more new listeners in and our hope is that they will listen longer and hear the message of God's love. If someone listens for just 15 minutes, they will hear about the Lord and His hope for life.

Artists like The Fray, Mat Kearney, Point of Grace, and more, are Christians that play mainstream music. We are excited about the platform God has called them to - being a light to country radio listeners, concertgoers, stage hands, and so many more in the music industry.

Here is an excerpt from an interview about their new album re-release:"We sing songs about life...relationships, and real things...but we are never going to leave our Christian music roots. It's why we do what we do."PointOfGrace

I hope this is helpful in understanding the heart behind the music. God bless you and your family,

Laurie Davidson
Correspondence Assistant to Programming
www.klove.com


*If you watch the video and hang in there till the end, you get the special *treat* of hearing "I Wish" performed!! OH, Yippee!!

Implying that this song is one that, "will draw more listeners in", seems absurd to me. If one is interested in country music, (since this song sounds no different to me, musically or lyrically, than a typical country song) then it seems one would be more apt to tune to the local country music station rather than K Love. Just my opinion.

Also, though I know it may be controversial, "Christians that play mainstream music" seems to me to be an oxymoron. If you're a Christian, why in the world would you be interested in playing mainstream music? I understand the arguments that people might be reached for Christ while hearing a song like this on a secular station--and I DON'T BUY IT! The power of the gospel is in the gospel itself, not a "positive message". No one has ever come to Christ by hearing just a positive message.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18


Well, I gave my two cents, and with that I'll let it rest. K Love will obviously choose to play what K Love chooses to play. I can't say I won't listen to the station anymore, for at times it's simply the only station I can get, depending on whether I'm at home or in my van. And for the most part, I think the music they play is good stuff, and I told them that in my original email. So all I can do now,(as we should all be doing at all times anyways) is listen with discretion, and flip the dial when necessary.

2 comments:

JanAl said...

Listening with discretion, talking with discretion, hearing with discretion, and 'doing' with discretion , it seems to me that this is a vital part of our walk with Christ! Especially since we will be accountable for our judgements and discernments.

Anonymous said...

"Implying that this song is one that, 'will draw more listeners in,' seems absurd to me. If one is interested in country music, (since this song sounds no different to me, musically or lyrically, than a typical country song) then it seems one would be more apt to tune to the local country music station rather than K Love. Just my opinion."

I do agree with you there. And why veil a message just to make it more acceptable by mainstream radio? I don't know if that's their purpose or not, but if "out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" (or sings), perhaps they ought to do some serious introspection. I, too, question how they can reach the unreached with such a wishy-washy platform. but then, i guess that's ultimately for God to judge. He alone knows their motives. perhaps they are pure but misguided.