Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Psalm 37:4

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

I've tried and tried to "sum myself up" in a word or two--a blog title that would describe "ME". Frankly, I've had a bit of trouble keeping it short. I ended up with paragraphs; nothing resembling a short phrase which would be appropriate for a blog title.

So, I'm changing directions. Your suggestions were all good ones--many cute, profound, clever, and all appreciated. If nothing else, they got me thinking, "Who am I and what do I want to be known for?"

I've chosen Psalm 37:4 as a focus because, for me, it answers "THE" question. My life has been a struggle to find what satisfies. I have known Jesus for many years, but only recently have I recognized my ongoing battle with sin as the misdirected attempt to satisfy my own soul longing for still more of Him. The Jesus Storybook Bible sums up the condition beautifully, "And though they would forget him, and run from him, deep in their hearts, God's children would miss him always, and long for him--lost children yearning for their home."

It is a pet peeve of mine when Christians reference worldly movies to make a point. So having admitted that, I'm going to break my own rule now to make a point. :) Do you remember the "You complete me" scene in Jerry Maguire? If you've seen the movie, YOU REMEMBER. As sappy and romantic as the scene is, you know women love that stuff and it brings to the surface the deep longings of the human heart. I want to be "complete". But as much as I'd like to be able to tell my husband, in my deep romantic voice, "You complete me", it's not true; nor do my children complete me; nor a job or a home or a position; nor any other relationship. While it's true that my husband, my children, and other Godly relationships are truly blessings straight from the Lord, they are not and will never be ENOUGH to satisfy my soul. God knows I've wasted much time searching the wrong places, trying to feel "complete". All along, He has been whispering in my ear, "I AM your completion." "I AM your satisfaction." "The desire, the longing in you that you are trying so hard to fill is......ME."

When I truly find my delight in Him, every desire and longing of my heart will be satisfied. This brings me GREAT JOY as I wait for my glorification. Because truly, as long as I live here on this earth, in this fallen body, I know I won't fully be satisfied in Him. But, He faithfully continues to work on me. And one day He will release me from this frustrating life and allow me to experience the REWARD at last! SATISFACTION in every sense of the word; Eternity in the presence of my One True Love.

Until then I must work, (and often it truly is work) to delight in Him and Him only. So, look above at my new blog title. Honestly, when I asked for suggestions, I wasn't expecting it to be this big of deal. But whether or not it's catchy or clever doesn't really matter. It is my life's goal--to spend every minute "Delighting in Him".

9 comments:

JanAl said...

LOVE IT!

Margaret said...

Awesome Kati!

Margaret said...

did you post something about Gabe? if so, it's not coming thru

Kati said...

I've been working on a post for Gabe's birthday and I accidentally posted it earlier today before I was ready, so I pulled it back. It couldn't have shown up for more than 5 minutes or so--you must've caught it!

Kati said...

OH, I just figured out that title is showing up under my blog on your blog list. WEIRD. Well, I guess you got just a little preview. I'm not posting it until his birthday!

Anonymous said...

a lovely testimony, kati. sounds like you came up with a winner :)

Anonymous said...

SEE - I TOLD you that you didn't need us! Here I was trying to give you a "shallow" title and you came up with something very spiritual. It suits you well!

And don't take offense - is there any one of us who don't live soap opera lives sometimes. Maybe not with all the "bling", but dramatic none the less. :)

Diana said...

Whoops - I didn't mean to be anonymous :) The comment above was from me!

Kati said...

No, I DO need you all--you got my brain moving when it was stuck!