Friday, October 17, 2008

Sad Reality

Today I sat my oldest son down and explained to him one of the sad realities of the world we live in: abortion.

As we've been driving around lately he's noticed the different political signs posted in yards and has started asking questions: "Who is McCain?", "Who's Obama?", "Why does it matter who's President?" His questions have given me opportunity to explain to him some important matters.

I'll make a confession here. I'm one of those one-issue voters. I don't follow politics closely. I don't care a great deal about the matters of the economy, national security and defense, or education. I know I should care more about these things. It's just not where my heart is right now. However, I can not NOT care about a candidate's position on abortion. It's just imprinted on my heart; I can not support a candidate who does not value God's gift of human life. Regardless of whether or not a candidate's elected position would make decisions directly in the area of abortion, I can not and will never intentionally cast my vote for someone who calls themselves "pro-choice". To me, it just says something about one's character; something that MATTERS to me.

So, when Isaac has asked me WHY we need to pray that John McCain gets elected, I had to first explain to him the terrible reality of what abortion is. In a word, he was SHOCKED. "WHAT?????" "How could someone do THAT?" So I explained to him the "reasons" that lead some people to do "that", like pregnancy out of wedlock, and the fact that sometimes women just don't want to be pregnant. And as it came out of my mouth, it just broke my heart again to realize the state of our fallen world.

I know God is in control. I know he ALREADY knows the outcome of this election. I will not fear, even if Obama should win. But I must admit, I pray often that Jesus might return for us soon before things get any worse.

3 comments:

JanAl said...

It is very sad! Especially the partial birth abortion, or even worse, the abortion that went wrong and the baby lived, and have mercy on the nurse who had to rock it to death for 45 mins., in a linen closet. It breaks my heart, & makes me sick.
and Kati, I am a little opposite of you, I tend to care too much about politics, I have been trying to limit the amount of time I listen, or watch the news. I will be glad when the election is over!

Charity said...

i had to try to explain to rachel a couple of months ago how someone can get pregnant without being married. trying to be as vague as possible at this point, I said something like, "when people do things they're not supposed to do before they're married, they can get pregnant." she absolutely freaked out: "mom, I've done things I'm not supposed to do, and i'm not married!!"

I have to admit I'm not overly excited about either candidate, but am much more in agreement with McCain's view of the sanctity of human life than Obama's. You're right, though . .. it's all in God's hands.

Anonymous said...

oh, don't you wish they could just stay innocent and delightfully ignorant for a good 20 years????